Bone spur years later

Hello! I’ve had a upper denture for about 4 years now. A little over a week ago I noticed some soreness along my gums where my front teeth would have been and when I would take my denture out there would sometimes be blood. I’ve just noticed there’s a bit of bone sticking out in that spot. It’s not like just a little tiny spur either. I don’t know if it’s normal for this to happen years after having my teeth extracted? Now I’m worried this won’t heal on its own and I don’t know if I’ll have to have my dentist take care of it. Unfortunately I don’t have the option of just leaving my denture out all day, because of work.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
It is possible that it could be a retained dental root, that only now is starting to protrude through the gum. Continuous denture wear leads to generalized bone loss over time, so it is common for any retained root pieces to become exposed, even if it is years down the line. If this is causing irritation or influences denture wear, it is best that you go see your dentist, to have the small piece removed. Quite often it is a relatively easy procedure.

Vote:

Ask a Question