Bone graft insisted with extraction

Solutions
Hi
Im trying to get some answers via google and other peoples experiences in regards to why bone grafting is such an automatic part of a reatment plan when there has been no pano taken.?
I am in process of getting my #30 extracted. Deep decay under gumline (or so it says) But they want to do a bone graft when i have fresh bone still and enough of it. Cant surgeons just do the implant after the extraction?

I understand when you have a single tooth missing for some time and your middle aged (as i am 57) Its undertandable that it would be prudent to bone graft with my #19 as it has been missing 9 yrs.

But for a new extraction, and im in good health with decent bone.. why wouldnt they do the implant without the grafting? Its like everyone now should have a bone graft with the plan regardless of if its needed or not?
any answers or thoughts appreciated

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't place implants but I would recommend getting another opinion from an experienced Periodontist or Oral Surgeon. I would never have a general dentist place implants.

Vote:
Solutions
It is odd because here many many dentists with their continuing education are placing successful implants right and left.
However it makes more sense to have them done with a practice that does this all day long e.g. oral sx and periodontist

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is odd because here many many dentists with their continuing education are placing successful implants right and left.
However it makes more sense to have them done with a practice that does this all day long e.g. oral sx and periodontist
I've seen too many implants fail. There are plenty of successful ones placed as well. I would go to an experience periodontist as first choice to place implants and the general dentist can predictably restore them.

Vote:
Solutions
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately i had to have the tooth extracted. At that time the dentist put in bone graft and now i am
not healing too well. Bad taste in mouth, im ready for the sutures to come out. Pain at the extraction site. No bone graft fell out, no inflammation or swelling or leakage but certainly a bad taste all the time so i think its infected.
Im going to see an oral surgeon/dentist/MD that works in a practice with a few other maxo facia surgeons. who does this all day long. Should have gone with him to begin with..could kick myself. I guess they have to dig it out and start over? Does not sound fun to me. Ill see what he says first before i assume the worst. My hunch tells me its not working out.
:(

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Too often I see other general dentists try to make more money by pushing all this. I don't do implants because a lot of my patients cannot afford them and I don't do them enough to have solid experience. Implants needs to go to the surgeons for placement and to general dentists who have plenty of experience restoring them.

Vote:
Solutions
I've seen too many implants fail. There are plenty of successful ones placed as well. I would go to an experience periodontist as first choice to place implants and the general dentist can predictably restore them.
"would go to an experience periodontist as first"
If I may ask so how does the periodontist distinguish from the oral surgeon? I would like to have the implants placed in the dentist that I have doesn't regularly and they seem to be pretty successful he likes to do crowns in plants and root canals so he knows what's going on but maybe that's also the dental industry just wanting money you know I don't know who to trust.
He charges less also, for example the oral surgeon charges and exorbent amount of money for one tooth $8,500 and this dentist I see is really reasonable both in plants about 9,000.

(I guess I spoke too soon with my extraction infected there was no problem and it healed it just took a little while.)

Vote:
Solutions
"would go to an experience periodontist as first"
If I may ask so how does the periodontist distinguish from the oral surgeon? I would like to have the implants placed in the dentist that I have doesn't regularly and they seem to be pretty successful he likes to do crowns in plants and root canals so he knows what's going on but maybe that's also the dental industry just wanting money you know I don't know who to trust.
He charges less also, for example the oral surgeon charges and exorbent amount of money for one tooth $8,500 and this dentist I see is really reasonable both in plants about 9,000.

(I guess I spoke too soon with my extraction infected there was no problem and it healed it just took a little while.)
Does them regularly, I type out and said 'doesn't regularly'

Vote:

Ask a Question