Bleeding gums, soreness and receding gums

Solutions
Hi all, new member here, Recently I've been having soreness in my gums and this evening i experienced a bit of bleeding. I use to be a heavy smoker (for over a decade) but now only smoke once or twice a day. The part that scares the most is the receding gums. I visit the dentist and he deep cleans it but every couple of months these symptoms come back. Please help.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-12-03 at 20.09.36.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-03 at 20.09.36.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 185
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-12-03 at 20.09.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-03 at 20.09.37.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 164

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You may be brushing incorrectly and too hard. Consider electric toothbrush such as Oral B or Sonicare and go gentle and thorough. You are irreversibly traumatizing your gums. If the bristles on your soft toothbrush (stay away from medium bristles) are flattening, you are brushing too hard and damaging your gums.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You have obvious erosion at the gumlines. It's hard to wear away your teeth like that unless you combine hard brushing with something that softens the teeth too. Do you have acdic foods or drinks? e.g. sodas, fruit juices, sports drinks.

Vote:
Solutions
You may be brushing incorrectly and too hard. Consider electric toothbrush such as Oral B or Sonicare and go gentle and thorough. You are irreversibly traumatizing your gums. If the bristles on your soft toothbrush (stay away from medium bristles) are flattening, you are brushing too hard and damaging your gums.
Thanks for the reply. I've been using soft bristle tooth brushes since the beginning of the year but I'll definitely look into getting a sonicare electronic brush

Vote:
Solutions
I
You have obvious erosion at the gumlines. It's hard to wear away your teeth like that unless you combine hard brushing with something that softens the teeth too. Do you have acdic foods or drinks? e.g. sodas, fruit juices, sports drinks.
use to drink alot of juice. About 2 litres a day but I don't anymore. I don't drink soft drinks instead I drink a lot of water

Vote:
If you have had a habit of brushing back and forth too hard, the best brush for you would be the Oral B Braun...the little round oscillating brush. Why? Because the brush moves and IT does the work of removing the plaque, not you, and it will help break that habit of "scrubbing" back and forth. When you use the Sonicare, that brush just vibrates, so you will still need to hold it at a 45 degree angle and brush back and forth so the bristle can do their job. Not the best choice for your situation. Also, the BEST dental care products to use for any "gum" situation are CLOSYS II products...toothpaste and mouthrinse. Why listen to me? I'm a retired dental hygienist with 30 yr experience under my belt who now does patient acquisition for dental practices. I used to run a non-surgical periodontal therapy program for 9 years with incredible patient success because I provided education to my patient's first. Everyone in my program HAD to get their plaque score down to 10% or lower before I would even start working on them. What good is my best work when my patient has no idea how to maintain their new healthy condition? All the best to you :)

Vote:

Ask a Question