Bleach went into my sinus cavity

So I had my root canal on the upper right tooth, I'm not sure which one specifically maybe 13th. But my dentist poured some bleach through and I could instantly feel severe burning and pain through my entire sinus and face. To my dentist's credit she tried to get as much out as possible. For the next couple of days I had been leaning back and sneezing or coughing up the black bleach. After looking up what bleach can do to the sinus cavity, I used a beti pot and I'm no longer coughing/sneezing brown bleach. But i still have an intense pain in my sinus and jaw. How long will it be until I stop feeling this, I was given Amoxicillin by my dentist but I'm not sure if I should go back. Or if it's something minor to wait on.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

From what I can gather, it sounds like you might have a minor injury related to the irrigant, or bleach, protruding through the apex of the tooth. This is unfortunately a risk when doing root canal treatments. Usually initial management would be to rinse out the canal with saline or even local anaesthetic.
The irrigant will cause a hyper inflammatory response with localised necrosis of tissues.
Anti-inflammatory medicines are usually a good go-to as well as antibiotics if there is risk of secondary bacterial infection.
Keeping an ice-pack over the affected area also provides some relief.
The pain and redness should gradually subside, which it sounds like it is already starting to do.
After the pain is gone, the root canal can be completed, but it is sometimes advised to then use an irrigant other than Bleach or Sodium Hypochlorite.
If the pain does not subside, there might be more severe damage and then a referral to an oral surgeon might be indicated.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately I had that happen to my patients a few times (I was doing full time root canals for a company for 9 years). As long as you're not experiencing swelling, you body will efficiently repair the area. If you're having swelling, you need medical attention including imaging to where the damage is and possibly numerous courses of corticosteroids depending on how severe your swelling is.

Vote:

Ask a Question