Black fleck on gumline

Ok, here is my story: Growing up, I had undiagnosed acid reflux during high school. This led to serious acid erosion which necessitated most of my teeth being filled with silver amalgam fillings. The only teeth I do not have fillings in are on the top the front two, and the two sets past them, and on the bottom, the front teeth (two front, and the 4 adjacent teeth).

I had not been to a dentist for probably 5 years until a month ago. I had no insurance. I went to a dentist, they took x rays, told me what I already knew, which was that the only non filled back molars I had needed to be filled. This was to be expected, so they set up appointments. They got me a cleaning, which I had done yesterday, and an appt for the fillings on august 2nd.

On Monday, 2 days ago, I noticed that the two teeth adjacent to my front teeth on top each has a tiny black fleck on each side of them, which appeared to be on the gum, as it moved when I would push on the tooth with my tongue, or suck in saliva. It did not appear to be on either my front two teeth, but the gum. This has got me real worried. I take care of my teeth, brushing and flossing after every meal, so I dont see how this is happening.

I went to the dentist yesterday, and the dental hygenist did the cleaning. I told her about the black spots, and she told me that the discoloring was most likely due to all the amalgam fillings in my mouth. However, what I have seen about amalgam tattoos and spotting, they look nothing like this. This is a tiny, plaque looking fleck. It;s on both sides of the tooth, right on the top of the gumline in between the teeth.

I got home from the dentist, and these spots are still there. So, should I attempt to make another appointment to get these spots checked out even though she saw nothing wrong, or should I just wait the month until the appointment, and follow up then?

Neither tooth is giving me pain in any way, it's just the the spots are making me worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question