Biting cheek

jlr

Solutions
A few months ago my dentist fitted me with an occlusal guard for grinding (which I pursued based on help from this forum, so thanks!). More recently, I've noticed the when I bite down cheek tissue gets between my teeth. I can see the tissue when I open my mouth, as if there some extra tissue especially on one side. This started a few weeks ago with some severe nighttime biting; however, it is still a problem. I'm wondering if this will go down on its own, calm down, or if some topical treatment may help. I've switched to iced beverages in the day, which temporarily shrinks the tissue. My guess is that there is a surgical option, if the tissue is permanent. I did have an oral cancer screening just a months ago, and it does not appear at all unusual by appearance, just getting in the way.

Thanks for any thoughtful replies.

John Roberts

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Have your dentist adjust the borders of the occlusal guard. You should not be traumatizing any parts of your mouth. You mouth can heal quickly with short term trauma, but with chronic (physical and or chemical), the mouth will make abnormal tissue to protect itself (precancer).

Vote:

Ask a Question