Bite sensitivity after root canal

Solutions
Hi all!

I had a root canal done 2 days ago and if I try to chew even oatmeal in the side of the root canal it is agonizing pain! No crazy pain otherwise- just mild uncomfortable due to inflammation. I wondered if anyone else has had this experience where you can’t chew anything at all on that side? And how long till i can at least chew soft foods over there?

thanks so much!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It depends on may factors like:
  • were you in pain before the RCT?
  • was there an infection?
  • was it done in 1, 2 or 3 appointments?
I don't need answers for these points, but give it a few more days and if not setttling, then call your dentist again.

Vote:
Solutions
It depends on may factors like:
  • were you in pain before the RCT?
  • was there an infection?
  • was it done in 1, 2 or 3 appointments?
I don't need answers for these points, but give it a few more days and if not setttling, then call your dentist again.

Thank you so much!!! No infection and done in 1 appt! It only hurt to chew hard things before, now it hurts chewing anything (eating only soft foods for now). Thank You so much for your help! If it doesn’t settle down I will call the dentist!

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks for asking!! Bite sensitivity seems better, but I am now having bad tmj/jaw pain for the past week...they say my bite looks good when they do the paper test but I feel like my back molars (one was my root canal tooth) are not connecting to my top teeth when I bite down..also when I look at my teeth when biting down there is a 1-1 1/2mm gap between the top and bottom back molar... So I’m sure this is what is causing my TMJ to act up. Any suggestions for me to tell the dentist since they seem to think my bite is OK? Thanks sooo much for your help!

Vote:
Solutions
I'm just an assistant, so I'm not totally informed about this issue, but I think you can check your bite position with with a dentist that also is specialized in orthodontics. Maybe you can have a second opinion.

Vote:

Ask a Question