Bite Off - Slight CR-CO Shift Question

Hello,

3 weeks ago I fractured my left mandible. After surgery, heavy elastics were placed the first week and a half to get my teeth used to my new bite. I had a follow-up appt today with my surgeon and addressed an issue I had with my bite, left side feels 'off' like the teeth are touching/clashing when I close my mouth. Dr found that I had a slight CR-CO shift of approximately 1 mm with premature contact left premolar region. What can be done to fix this? He suggested an occlusal adjustment with my primary dentist after I am fully healed, how likely is that to resolve the issue?

I'm currently wearing lass I box elastics for 2 more weeks per my surgeon's instructions and have been for the past 2 weeks now, not sure if this will help or hurt or have no effect on the shift or not.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Have you seen an orthodontist? They are more likely to diagnose and treat the residual bite discrepancy.

Vote:
Have you seen an orthodontist? They are more likely to diagnose and treat the residual bite discrepancy.
I haven't, just been to follow-ups with the surgeon and he told me to see my dentist afterward because an occlusion adjustment would likely be helpful. He told me to wait until after we've wrapped up my broken jaw treatment, which will be in about 3-4 weeks.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm surprised that the surgeon sent you back to the general dentist for correction of CR-CO shift. Yes, he might be able to correct it by shaving off part of your teeth but this will damage your teeth irreversibly. Rather, an ortho should be able to analyse your bite and probably correct it with little or no damage at all. It will cost you significantly more, but you will get a better long-term result.

Vote:
I'm surprised that the surgeon sent you back to the general dentist for correction of CR-CO shift. Yes, he might be able to correct it by shaving off part of your teeth but this will damage your teeth irreversibly. Rather, an ortho should be able to analyse your bite and probably correct it with little or no damage at all. It will cost you significantly more, but you will get a better long-term result.
I think because the shift was so slight, and because there was premature contact I think he thought an adjustment at the dentist might be all that is needed to fix this specific issue.

So if I went to see an ortho, do you know if they would probably correct it with braces or if they have other techniques they can use to properly align the bite/teeth again?

Also thank you for your responses!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't know how significant your bite discrepancy is - maybe selective grinding will do it, maybe not. For a general dentist, it's hard to tell unless diagnostic models are taken and mounted in an articulator. Orthodontists usually have sophisticated 3D imaging software that can also do this, plus be able to plan detailed braces treatment if required.

Vote:

Ask a Question