Bit tongue 2 weeks ago - Healing?

Solutions
Hello,

Just over 2 weeks ago, I bit the side of my tongue (posted about it then but wanted to see if it looks better to a more trained eye). It's in an area where I probably bite a bit more frequently than others, on accident. It looks like it's healing but still has some whitish/pink coloration and hasn't fully returned to normal.

Is this typical? Does it look concerning based on the photo? Trying to avoid going to the dentist unnecessarily given COVID, but if it should be more healed by now, I'll setup an appointment.

20200727_180919.jpg

Thank you!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

I am judging my opinion on your photo. Usually after about 2 weeks, your tongue should be almost back to normal. It is a good sign that you are seeing some improvement.
I am a bit concerned about the white-red lesion you still have in that area. This is a high risk area, and I would still suggest going to a dentist, to have a consult and screening done, on this area specifically. It might be necessary to consider a biopsy to rule out any underlying pathology.

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks Dr. M. If I'm going in next week to have some dysplasia removed with a laser by an ENT surgeon, is this something I can have them look at/take care of while I'm in for that? Or would I need to deal with this starting all over (dentist > referral > surgeon, etc)?

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks! I'll be sure to point it out.

One last question- I've noticed a couple somewhat whitish but mostly fleshy colored small bumps (like 3 or 4 of them) pop up under my tongue in the past week or so. They don't hurt, the only one I kind of feel is in the back side of my tongue. I assumed they might be small canker sores from rubbing against my teeth (I've been looking at my tongue so much lately) or possibly stress related. I realize this isn't much to go off of, but any idea what they could be? Could stress cause something like this?

I have had a dentist, an oral surgeon, and an ENT look at my mouth in the past month, so I assume they'd catch anything concerning?

I tried taking a photo but it isn't the best. Hope it helps.

20200729_145856.jpg

Last edited:

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't see anything you need to worry about. Might just be some fibrous tissue from rubbing against your teeth.

Vote:
Solutions
I don't see anything you need to worry about. Might just be some fibrous tissue from rubbing against your teeth.

Just wanted to follow up, the front one in the photo seem to have cleared up. The back one is still there. Not painful, just feel it sometimes when I swallow. Any ideas on what I can do to make it go away? Or just not worry about it?

Thanks!

Here's a somewhat better photo.
20200731_162654.jpg

Vote:
Solutions
Good day

Don't worry about it. There is nothing extra you can do. Just observe the area.

Hello Dr M - I had my operation to remove the dysplasia a couple weeks ago. I noticed that little bump is still at the back of my tongue however. Not sure if it went away and came back or if it hasn't gone away at all. Do you have any recommendations for what could help get rid of it? Should I have it looked at?

Thanks!

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

I would not worry too much about that. It might only be a variation of normal anatomy of a papillae or minor salivary gland. It can also be an area of the tongue that is just a bit irritated and enlarged, due to scratching against an area on the adjacent tooth. Observe the area and if ever it becomes larger, then you can have it investigated.

Vote:

Ask a Question