Biotene

I've recently started going to a periodontist; I've got fairly severe gingivitis (deep pockets and receding gums) and am undergoing scaling/root planing.

The periodontist strongly encourages all of his patients to use Biotene oral rinse. I've been using Listerine (or equivalent) for 20 years, based on the evidence that it may help control gingivitis, though I am aware that there is some controversy about long-term use of Listerine (in part because of the impact of alcohol).

However, the information I see publicly about Biotene indicates that it is designed to address dry-mouth. I haven't found any claims from the manufacturer, or studies indicating that it is helpful in addressing periodontal disease. When I asked the periodontist for his rationale in urging me to use Biotene, he mentions that it controls pH, and that acid wears out tooth/root enamel, and that he thinks his patients fare much better with Biotene than they used to do with Listerine.

I do not have dry mouth. In fact, I tend to over-produce saliva.

At his urging, I've stopped rinsing with Listerine, but am now just not using mouthwash - I'm skeptical of advice just based on anecdotal evidence, and somewhat reluctant to start rinsing with a mouthwash that is intended to stimulate salivary glands.

Is anyone aware of any published scientific (controlled) studies indicating that Biotene should be used to address periodontal disease? Is there a good reason for all periodontal patients (regardless of whether they have dry mouth) to use Biotene oral rinse?

Thanks!

Hello Comfrey,

If your dentist advice you to use that as oral rinse then do what you are told.
But if your looking for a good rinsing try coconut oil as mouthwash.

Vote:

Ask a Question