Big filling, tooth aching, x-rays are clear

Hi! I have a big filling on my left molar for a long time. The tooth is aching now and radiates to other teeth and sometimes to my eye and ear. I went to the dentist and she said that x-rays are clear, not cavities or infection. She thinks i need to put a crown on the tooth since the filling is too big. But I am wondering - if I put a crown on a problem, how will it solve it? Or when she does a crown, she will take out the filling and clean the inside? Will the crown help it? What if I need a root canal and I have a crown on the tooth? Why is there nothing on the xray? Can it be cavity under the filling that we cant see? I do not want to pay for crown if it doesnt solve the problem, but this constant ache doesnt let me live normally and focus on other things. Thank you!!!

Solutions
Your symptoms do not sound good. Does it hurt after eating, in the morning when you wake or is it all the time? Has your dentists done various tests to check whether you can feel hot/cold, whether there is lingering pain after putting pressure on (signs of a crack) or knocking it gently? Can you post a photo of an x ray here?

Vote:
It’s kind of just aching all the time. It doesn’t react to hot or cold but when I floss on one side it’s hurting and if I put pressure on the gum on one side I can definitely feel it. Unfortunately I don’t have X-rays , they are at the dentist. What could it be and what can fix it? And why X-rays are clear? Thank you !

Vote:
Solutions
If you ask the dentist they can usually email you the x rays. But may be too early to see anything on x ray. An infection doesn't always show up when symptoms start.

Vote:
I had it before as well but it would go away after a day or so. But this time it is lasting a bit less than a week. Besides I have been suffering from migraines all my life and when I have migraine my teeth hurt as well. But this time it is separate from my migraine

Vote:
Solutions
Could be a bite problem. Has your dentist discussed that possibility? Has your dentist suggested a night guard to see whether the pain is better in the morning after using one? Perhaps you already wear a night guard?

Vote:
She checked my bite, seemed fine... I do know that I grind my teeth and probably clench. I tried over the counter night guard for 1 night only for now. Do you think it would be aching all day because of grinding/clenching? and do you think I should get rid of that old big filling and put a crown?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I can't even start to reply unless you put up at least 2 types of Xrays:
  • A standard dental showing between the teeth (a bitewing)
  • A standard Xray showing the tips of the most likely tooth (a periapical)
  • A full mouth would also be useful (an OPG)

Vote:
Solutions
I think it's very important you have a proper diagnosis before you have any radical work done. Your teeth can hurt all day if you grind/clench. You can also have headaches from it and all sorts of other aches and pains. How are your gums? Do you have any sensitivity?

Vote:

Ask a Question