Best Treatment Advice for a Recurrent Oral Mucocele

I have been dealing with a recurrent oral mucocele in my lower right buccal mucosa for roughly half a year’s worth of time (it started occurring late November last year). The problem I am facing is that apparently, I can only have it excised when it is present (i.e., swollen), but the mucocele usually occurs at random intervals (between three to seven days) and at random times (sometimes in the late afternoon when most of the oral health surgeons near me are closing up for the day or on weekends) and I cannot do anything to make it occur manually. The reason why I assume it can only be excised when swollen is from my sole consultation with and later visit to a specific oral health surgeon (whom my dentist referred me to), who said in both instances that “I cannot do surgery if it’s not there”. Essentially, I would be forced to have to make an appointment on the same day the mucocele occurs to have it excised, and that is frustrating since not only can I not predict when the mucocele occurs, but some of the oral health surgeons around me will not accept same day appointments.

Is there any other possible treatment I can undergo to have it excised? Can I have it excised even if it is not swollen? Or is it the norm for recurrent mucoceles in that they can only be excised when they are swollen rather than at any other time (in theory, since these are usually caused by a damaged salivary duct, would it still be possible to treat them just by fixing the duct)? I want to have this mucocele excised as soon as possible and I don’t want to be held down by whenever it shows up to schedule my appointment.

Your age , diet habbits with teeth edges needs to be checked . Reccurent situation handled by my dentist such way ,

Surgery is not a solution for such condition .

Recurrence , ductal damage is associated with mucocele surgical treatment .( as my dentist word MUCOCELE surgery is CHOICE OF TREATMENT but NOT THE TREATMENT )

So get a expert plan to manage the mucocele .

identify what triggers are behind it

Vote:
Your age , diet habbits with teeth edges needs to be checked . Reccurent situation handled by my dentist such way ,

Surgery is not a solution for such condition .

Recurrence , ductal damage is associated with mucocele surgical treatment .( as my dentist word MUCOCELE surgery is CHOICE OF TREATMENT but NOT THE TREATMENT )

So get a expert plan to manage the mucocele .

identify what triggers are behind it
This is the first time I’ve had a mucocele that reoccurs every week or so. If I’ve had lumps in my mouth in the past, they were either consistent yet temporary (I.E. swollen for a few days and then gone) or were just aphthous ulcers. I went to two different dentists and both said they could remove it but it would just come back so they deferred me to oral surgery for permanent removal.

I’m not sure what triggers it. I tried to trigger it several times using spicy or acidic foods but it never seemed to work (neither would eating said foods while it was swollen prolong how long it was swollen). And foods that I had thought caused it would not work the second time around. As for my diet, my diet has been relatively consistent for the past few years so I don’t think that’s the cause (like I said, it only started late last year).

Vote:

Ask a Question