Best brand of implant? Strauman? BioCare? Implant direct? Hoissen? Blue Sky? etc.

There are so many brands of implants! How does one decide which to use. The Internet shows that Strauman and Nobel BioCare are the leader sellers, but implant doctors also use Blue Sky, Implant Direct, Hoissen, and Neodent Implant systems. Some dentists insist on BioCare or Strauman.

Some dentists avoid Strauman. Is that because it's more expensive?

Does one just make certain the screw is made in the USA and leave the decision up to the dentist?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually the dentist or surgeon will have a preference, so it's not really up to you. The main thing is - does the company have a solid history, and will it be around in 20 years if something breaks? Straumann and Nobel are my favourites.

Vote:
Usually the dentist or surgeon will have a preference, so it's not really up to you. The main thing is - does the company have a solid history, and will it be around in 20 years if something breaks? Straumann and Nobel are my favourites.

Thank you. Breaks? Yikes. You mean that the screw can only be replaced with the same brand?

What makes a brand a "favorite"? Tech support? Price?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You cannot mix different brands or copies. Always ask to see that brand from lab is correct, and not a cheaper copy. Straumann are all barcoded, sometimes labs try to use copy, so I always ask for original packaging and invoice. Price is only a small factor - reliability and support are more important. Would you rather buy a BMW or a Lada?

Vote:
You cannot mix different brands or copies. Always ask to see that brand from lab is correct, and not a cheaper copy. Straumann are all barcoded, sometimes labs try to use copy, so I always ask for original packaging and invoice. Price is only a small factor - reliability and support are more important. Would you rather buy a BMW or a Lada?

Lada, since my Mom is Russian. Kidding.

Are Straumann and Biocare the best? What about Blue Sky, Implant Direct, Hoissen, and Neodent?

Vote:
Lada, since my Mom is Russian. Kidding.

Are Straumann and Biocare the best? What about Blue Sky, Implant Direct, Hoissen, and Neodent?

I work in a dental lab and none of our dentists have ever used Blue Sky or Implant Direct.

We work with Nobel, Straumann and Hiossen. In the last 7 years, I've only seen 2 Neodent cases come in.
Hope that helps.

Vote:
I work in a dental lab and none of our dentists have ever used Blue Sky or Implant Direct.

We work with Nobel, Straumann and Hiossen. In the last 7 years, I've only seen 2 Neodent cases come in.
Hope that helps.

Kind of helps.... the implant doctor I prefer uses only Blue Sky, Implant Direct, and Neodent. This doc will use Biocare if I pay $1,100 more. What? What?

Cannot believe $1,100 more for a BioCare. This office likes Blue Sky, Implant Direct, and Neodent. Why ????

Vote:
Kind of helps.... the implant doctor I prefer uses only Blue Sky, Implant Direct, and Neodent. This doc will use Biocare if I pay $1,100 more. What? What?

Cannot believe $1,100 more for a BioCare. This office likes Blue Sky, Implant Direct, and Neodent. Why ????

I'm not familiar with Blue Sky or Implant Direct so I'm not sure how they compare to Biocare, Hiossen or Straumann.

There could be a number of different reasons why your dentist prefers to use those implant companies over the others.... the only way to know for sure is to ask him/her directly.

Vote:
I'm not familiar with Blue Sky or Implant Direct so I'm not sure how they compare to Biocare, Hiossen or Straumann.

There could be a number of different reasons why your dentist prefers to use those implant companies over the others.... the only way to know for sure is to ask him/her directly.

So you are familiar with Neodent ? Are all these brands safe to use AND also made in the USA?

Vote:
No, not necessarily.
As previously stated I've only had maybe 2 Neodent implant cases come in over the last 7 years at this lab.
I know that Neodent is affiliated with Straumann and we use Straumann quite often.

As far as it being safe, I think that goes without question...
They're a Brazilian implant company and is 1 of, if not the, largest leading implant company in Latin America.
They do have US based locations - just not sure if the implants are manufactured here in the states.

You can always call them and ask or your perhaps your dentist may even know since he/she is familiar with them.

Vote:
So you are familiar with Neodent ? Are all these brands safe to use AND also made in the USA?

Oops just realized you asked if ALL these brands are safe & made in the states...

Yes, all of the implant companies are FDA approved and safe to use.

Hiossen/Osstem - South Korea
Biocare - Sweden
Straumann - Europe (cant remember exactly from where... I think Germany or Switzerland maybe?)

All 3 have US based locations and they do manufacture here in the states as well.

Vote:
Oops just realized you asked if ALL these brands are safe & made in the states...

Yes, all of the implant companies are FDA approved and safe to use.

Hiossen/Osstem - South Korea
Biocare - Sweden
Straumann - Europe (cant remember exactly from where... I think Germany or Switzerland maybe?)

All 3 have US based locations and they do manufacture here in the states as well.

Thank you so much. My son has an "MIS" implant. Are those acceptable?

Two friends had "Implant Direct" and it seems they are in Southern California. Are those good too?

Vote:

Matt & KVM:

What about grade of titanium? I heard that Grade 5 should be used. Is Grade 6 better? How to find out which implant uses which grade?

Vote:

Ask a Question