Best antibacterial mouthwash

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm not a big mouthwash fan due to its chemical irritation to the oral mucosa and the tendency for people to be more lazy such as "I don't feel like brushing and flossing right now so I'll rinse briefly instead."

If you are considering mouth rinses, look for non-alcohol base to minimize irritation.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Ok, so it’s best to not use mouthwash after brushing and flossing?

Depends on gum disease risk factors. IMO, if you have fairly healthy gums, no need for oral rinses. I prescribe 0.12% Peridex for only 2 to 4 weeks in conjunction to deep cleanings for those with 5-6 mm gum pocketing and or poor home care/plaque control. I try to get people not to rely on them.

For people with bad breath, we try to identify causes such as poor hygiene, poor diet, possible diabetes, acid reflux and or other gastro-intestinal conditions. A mother complained that her foster daughter had bad breath. Upon examination, I concluded she may be anorexic due to Keto breath since she was confirmed not to be diabetic.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I agree with Honestdoc. A Chlorhexidine mouthrinse can stain teeth if used too often for long periods of time. Best to use it when a dentist recommends it. Mouthwash is only an adjunct to normal oral hygiene habits such as toothbrushing and flossing

Vote:

Ask a Question