Bad filling

Hello all,

Once again I've come away from an NHS UK dentist feeling let down.

First of all I'll point out that the dentist I saw, did not take the time to check all of my teeth as I'd requested and paid for. The 'scale and polish,' included in 'Band 2,' of the care I received involved cleaning the inside of my front lower teeth, and nothing else. I understand that a dentist must inspect all of the teeth, and advise whether a hygienist is required. I'll be complaining about this.

The filling itself was for a cavitie that had developed on a molar where the gum had receded. He applied fillings to two other teeth, at the gum line.
I have had this type of filling before on the other side of my mouth, and the previous dentist made a very subtle, barely noticeable filling just above the gum. With the new fillings I've had today, the composite has been smeared on to the enamel above the gum, so 70% of the side of my tooth has been covered with composite. It was a healthy part of my tooth, so I don't know why he covered it. When I touch it with my tongue, what was smooth healthy enamel is now rough with composite.

I'm going to another dentist to hopefully get this corrected. Can the excess composite be removed so that the outer surface of the tooth is enamel as opposed to composite?

Hello Tman,

Excess composite can be removed if it has been placed over the enamel.
The composite can also be polished using a variety of burs or polishing discs to try to make it as smooth as possible.

Hope that answers your question!

Vote:
Hello Tman,

Excess composite can be removed if it has been placed over the enamel.
The composite can also be polished using a variety of burs or polishing discs to try to make it as smooth as possible.

Hope that answers your question!

Thank you for reply. I have since then been to the dentist. He has removed some of the composite, but says he can't remove all of it as that would risk removing enamel. I still have excess composite going into the inside of my mouth and the tooth is rough and lumpy when I touch it with my tongue. Also, a part of my tooth where the composite has recently been scraped off by the dentist, is sensitive when I gently scrape it with my nail. Is it possible that he took away some enamel?

Any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Vote:
Thank you for reply. I have since then been to the dentist. He has removed some of the composite, but says he can't remove all of it as that would risk removing enamel. I still have excess composite going into the inside of my mouth and the tooth is rough and lumpy when I touch it with my tongue. Also, a part of my tooth where the composite has recently been scraped off by the dentist, is sensitive when I gently scrape it with my nail. Is it possible that he took away some enamel?

Any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

While it is possible that enamel could be removed while a filling is being polished or removed, that may not be the case.

Was there sensitivity on the tooth before the fillings were done? The root surfaces of the teeth are the most common cause of sensitive teeth.

The dentist should be able to remove composite without removing enamel as the composite filling is placed over the enamel and can be differentiated.

Please don't hesitate to ask anymore questions. If in doubt, you can always ask for a second opinion from another dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question