Bad Bridge?

In Jan of this year I had the upper right second molar (2) removed which was broken off last year. The first molar (1) also had a large filling which fell out. The dentist talked me into getting a bridge.

I wasn't able to chew with the temporary bridge because it hurt. Told the dentist numerous times. He said the permeant bridge would be better. Did not have cold sensitivity.

Permeant bridge was glued in with temporary cement in mid March. Even though my mouth was numb it hurt. Told the dentist that is felt really tight and not comfortable. He said give it a few days. Still can't chew on it and cold drinks are very painful.

Dentist adjusted by grinding down parts of bridge. Still painful. Sent me to a Endodontist. She recommends getting a root canal in tooth (1) and (3) through the bridge. She said the teeth have needed it for quite some time and it's just a coincidence the same day that I got the permanent bridge that cold sensitivity started.

I'm not really buying into this. Any insight into this? What type of dentist should I go to for a second opinion?

If the teeth were already hurting when you got the temporary bridge, there's a possibility that you do need the root canals. The cold sensitivity could be compounded by the material of the bridge. Without knowing what it's made of, if it's PFM (porcelain fused to metal) the metal may be more sensitive to cold and magnify the pain. Or the root/tooth condition could have just gotten worse over time.

I needed a root canal under my PFM bridge and it made my mouth much more cold sensitive until the root canal was done and the pain eventually went away.

I would highly recommend getting a second even third opinion from Dentists and Endodontists and demand satisfaction from whomever you choose to use.

Vote:

Ask a Question