Backflow

I recently learned about the risks of backflow (previous patients' blood/saliva etc.) that could rise up from the suction tube of a saliva ejector under certain circumstances. It seems not every dentist uses the valves that prevent this. Am I overreacting? My dentists have never stopped me from closing around the ejector tip which supposedly triggers the backflow. I have OCD and this has been a triggering discovery for me.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. Saliva ejectors do not backflow. Perhaps you are thinking of the handpiece (drill) or the water syringe (triplex).
  2. The amount of backflow into a drill is minimal, and would be contained within the drill, which is going to be cleaned and sterilised anyway. Most modern handpieces have anti-backflow valves, so it would be impossible.
  3. Triplexes could also have some backflow. But, as for handpieces, it will be minimal and contained within the triplex tip which is removed after the patient and either cleaned and sterilised (metal tips) or thrown away (plastic tips).
  4. All waterlines are flushed and disinfected daily.
  5. To give you an idea, I found an old worksheet from when I owned my practice (2013) attached.
  6. If you can find any instances of patients getting cross-infection from suctions, handpieces, or triplexes, let me know.
  7. I think good dental surgeries are much more aware and proactive with cleanliness than some doctors I've seen.

Attachments

• Cleaning - Start & End of day & DA & SBA duties.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Vote:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithwilfer

Latest Threads