Arestin

I have recently gone to the dentist. I had a deep cleaning done, and 24 injections of Arestin. This was all told to me ahead of time, and a payment plan was worked out as Arestin is pretty expensive and my insurance doesn't cover some of the injections. After the appointment, the hygienist told me that I will need about 40 more injections! I heard them probing, and I know I have 4-6mm pockets, but most were not 6. I definatley did not hear them call out 6's or even 5's that many ( 40 injections plus the 24 a week ago would be 64 total injections). I feel like that's a little overboard.

I am wanting to go get a second opinion, as I honestly can not afford to do that many injections. I was able to finance and do a payment plan for the deep clean plus the 24 injections, which maxed it out. Does that sound like too many applications? My gums have already pretty much stopped bleeding. There are two areas that are newly red and swollen since she applied injection, one in a molar that needs to be pulled and one area beside my two front teeth...no other areas are swollen.

Ah, just confused!

Last edited:
My dentist in southern California charged $40 per site, and he suggested I get the Arestin through my prescription drug coverage. Amazingly, it was HIS idea.

If your dental insurance doesn't cover Arestin, check with your prescription drug coverage - it probably is a covered drug. I was able to get 20 Arestin cartridges with my prescription drug coverage for $50 copay. The dentist then charged a flat fee of $75 for the injections at 17 sites.

My new dentist (I moved to Arizona) wants to charge $88 per site!!! And doesn't want to order it through my prescription coverage. Needless to say, all they are worried about is $$$$$, not helping the patient.

I'll be going back to my dentist in SoCal when I visit family every few months.

I have recently gone to the dentist. I had a deep cleaning done, and 24 injections of Arestin. This was all told to me ahead of time, and a payment plan was worked out as Arestin is pretty expensive and my insurance doesn't cover some of the injections. After the appointment, the hygienist told me that I will need about 40 more injections! I heard them probing, and I know I have 4-6mm pockets, but most were not 6. I definatley did not hear them call out 6's or even 5's that many ( 40 injections plus the 24 a week ago would be 64 total injections). I feel like that's a little overboard.

I am wanting to go get a second opinion, as I honestly can not afford to do that many injections. I was able to finance and do a payment plan for the deep clean plus the 24 injections, which maxed it out. Does that sound like too many applications? My gums have already pretty much stopped bleeding. There are two areas that are newly red and swollen since she applied injection, one in a molar that needs to be pulled and one area beside my two front teeth...no other areas are swollen.

Ah, just confused!

Vote:

Ask a Question