Are dental assistants allowed drill inside a patients mouth?

I had an experience today where a dental assistant was allowed to place a temporary crown. The bite was off and as she had already cemented it, she began to use the dental drill inside my mouth. After about six tries, she left to get the dentist who was able to adjust the bite. I have NEVER had a RDA use a drill in my mouth. Once I get the permanent crown, I will never go to this dentist again. Was this action legal? Are RDAS now allowed to drill inside of a patient’s mouth?

In most cases, dental assistants are not allowed to use a dental drill (also known as a dental handpiece) inside a patient's mouth. The use of dental drills is considered a clinical procedure that typically falls under the scope of practice of licensed dental professionals, such as dentists or dental hygienists, depending on the jurisdiction and specific regulations.

Vote:
The same exact thing happened to me today . I walked out. She had fingernails under her gloves that felt like nail’s scrapping my gums. A hour and 45 minutes and I have a pie plate in my mouth that’s a different color than the rest. It was a nightmare and I m asking the same questions. are dental assistant’s allowed to drill in my mouth with a saw blade??

Vote:

Ask a Question