Apicoeptomy help/advice

Hi.
Im a 65 years old male, I had a crown fitted 45 years ago and next to it a tooth on a pin (inplant), they have been amazing and lasted well, but last year after a filling in my back tooth I started to feel a pain, not a pain but a feeling of pressure.

went back to the dentist and after an xray they diceded it needed a root canal and possible bridge for the 2 two teeth, these are front tooth and one next to it. however they said they cant do it, it would need to be private and use a microscope to do it right, well the cost is arounf £950 a lot for me on a pension, they feel if dont his way I can save the tooth ,

I have never had a bridge so im worried in case i cant bite or eat on one, so advice, plese, would a bridge be ok, do i have to go private and pay

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A lot of my patients cannot afford a root canal treatment or crowns and bridges. Many of them opt for extraction(s) and adapt. An option to consider is to go to a teaching facility where graduate dentists train to specialize in root canals or implants. I don't like bridges because it involves drilling on good teeth to fit abutments and pontic. I've seen too many failures of bridge abutments on fragile root canaled teeth due to high forces exerted.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I doubt you have an implant as these didn't start coming out till early 80s. Perhaps you mean a post in a root-filled tooth? Bridges can be a reasonable option IF the teeth holding the bridge are strong enough BUT also IF they have already had some minor damage. Like honestdoc says, doing bridges on perfect teeth is a no-no. Put up Xrays to show us what you've got.

Vote:
I dont have the xrays, maybe I can get them, I dont think we have a teaching place for me to go, so my options are, extraction and a bridge of 2 teeth and be careful not eat apples (lol) or to pay private fees, I am hopefull to get funding

Vote:

Ask a Question