Apiceptomy problems

Hi I had an apiocetomy done about 25 years ago with a good outcome but 2 years ago the bone spur that formed over it became increasingly tender almost like a painless abcess but throbbing and a lot of pressure.It lasts a few weeks then calms down a bit.My dentist says its just the bone growing over the site but he cant explain the extreme tenderness and pressure.Any thoughts because its pretty bad?

Hi,Im sorry I dont.I had a panaromic one done and both my dentist and oral consultant said they could see nothing wrong but couldnt explain why it was this way.I also forgot to add that its a post and crown tooth which I had done about 30 years ago but was replaced 12 years ago.I also have been diagnosed with TMD but the consultant said that my TMJ joints have no obvious problems.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is difficult to say definitively without any x-ray. It could be that the apicoectomy is failing. Or it could be that you have a crack in the tooth. But it might be something small like grinding on your teeth. Maybe try an over the counter bite plate, and sleep with it, to see if it makes a difference.
And see if you can have a peri-apical radiograph taken.

Vote:

Ask a Question