Am I right not to be happy with my new crowns and implant

Solutions
Last year my daughter accidentally broke my front tooth ( under a crown), I was told my tooth cracked under my gum level and it will have to come out. After discussing It with my dentist I decided on implant and also replacing my other 3 crowns for better match. Implant settled in well. All was meant to be finish in May but due to the pandemic there was a delay. Looking back after my gums have healed following the implant placement I have noticed that my gum have shrunken around the implant area and also around the crown next to the implant. My dentist told me not to worry and that we can sort that at later date. Exactly 2 weeks today I had the 3 crowns replaced and the implant “finished” with the crown.
At the time I have noticed the gaps between my new crowns, my dentist said that my gum will grow into those spaces. No changes since and I’m reading loads of posts from dentists saying that this won’t happen? When I talk bubbles form in those areas, it’s very embarrassing, also food get stuck in those gaps constantly, I didn’t have this problem with my old crowns. Also I have noticed ( today) that on the back of the implant ( inside my mouth) I can see a black line, I’m guessing the crown doesn’t sit right against my gum, of course no one can see this but I worry food will get stuck there causing decay/ infection. Last but not least where my gum shrunk on my front tooth the tooth not only looks longer than the other one but I can almost see the “end” of the crown as there is not much gum between the crown and gum line. I just wanted to check with someone that I am right in wanting to go back and question all these things. I worry if I go back I’ll just be fobbed off as I don’t really know what I’m taking about. Many thanks

Attachments

• AEE3E976-AC6B-4630-B1FB-78EEF5928858.jpeg
    AEE3E976-AC6B-4630-B1FB-78EEF5928858.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 175
  • BCB232DF-8EC9-442C-8197-DE0D1715BCEA.jpeg
    BCB232DF-8EC9-442C-8197-DE0D1715BCEA.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Based on your photo it looks like your central incisors are asymmetrical due to the gingival margins not being on the same level. This should have been consider when the new crown was made.
It is difficult to judge the black spaces between your teeth, without an x-ray, since this could be due to a large bone defect in that area. If there was a large bone defect, the soft tissue will ultimately lose vertical height, due to lack of bone, and then result in those black triangular spaces, which could be food traps.
All of this should have been considered when the case was planned, since additional treatments such as bone or soft tissue augmentation might have been needed before the implant was placed.
I think it would be best to go to your dentist, to get your concerns addressed. You did pay a lot of money after all.

Vote:
Solutions
Good day

Based on your photo it looks like your central incisors are asymmetrical due to the gingival margins not being on the same level. This should have been consider when the new crown was made.
It is difficult to judge the black spaces between your teeth, without an x-ray, since this could be due to a large bone defect in that area. If there was a large bone defect, the soft tissue will ultimately lose vertical height, due to lack of bone, and then result in those black triangular spaces, which could be food traps.
All of this should have been considered when the case was planned, since additional treatments such as bone or soft tissue augmentation might have been needed before the implant was placed.
I think it would be best to go to your dentist, to get your concerns addressed. You did pay a lot of money after all.

Many thanks for your comment. I have booked an appointment for this Monday coming but now at least I know that something could of been done at the time. Are you able to tell from the photos if these issues can be fixed without re doing the crowns?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is a bit difficult to give that information based off from a photo only. For that a clinical examination and x-rays would be needed.

Vote:
It is a bit difficult to give that information based off from a photo only. For that a clinical examination and x-rays would be needed.

Agreed. Doesn't look that bad but best to get x-rays.You want to make sure it hasn't done anything weird on an internal level. Which could lead to much bigger issues. Not trying to scare you but better to take precaution.

Vote:
Solutions
Agreed. Doesn't look that bad but best to get x-rays.You want to make sure it hasn't done anything weird on an internal level. Which could lead to much bigger issues. Not trying to scare you but better to take precaution.
Thank you , I went back to see him on Monday , he said everything is fine and in few months the gum will fill the gaps ...? Don’t know what to think anymore. I am going to see another dentist on the 9th September for a second opinion

Vote:

Ask a Question