Alternatives to Bone Grafting?

I am 23 female and today my dentist told me I have severe bone loss and the only way to save my teeth is to have bone grafting on the area marked on my x-ray. My dentist says I'm going to have root canal treatment on my left central and lateral incisors before the bone grafting, which is going to make them 50% more fragile. Further, she told me there is a high possibility that I will lose those teeth due to the bone grafting. I am worried that the procedure may worsen my current teeth condition and I may lose my teeth. This devastates me as I am only 23 years old.
Is there any alternative procedure to bone grafting? For instance, is is possible to apply tooth splinting to reduce tooth mobility and let the bones naturally recover?
Is there anything I can do to reduce the bone loss while I'm considering my options? I brush my teeth 3 times a day and floss every day.
Any advice is appreciated.
1662466364489.png

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You're too young to have that bone damage. It appears that you may have had trauma to #9 with severe external root resorption and severe bone damage #10. What was your orthodontist's opinion? Moving teeth can stress the teeth and bone leading to further bone destruction and root damage. Bone graft will not replenish the bone level there. The most predictable will be to complete orthodontic treatment and consider implants #9, 10.

Vote:

Ask a Question