Alternatives to a filling

I had some tooth pain shortly after a dentist check up where they postponed the next check up from 6 months to a year because of the good condition my teeth were in after viewing an x-ray.
Days later I had tooth ache from the back left hand side with the area unidentified exactly. I went in for another appointment, they said it was because of "staining" and that everybody has it that's why they didn't catch it last time and that they want to give it time to see if it remineralizes but that the alternative would be a filling on an otherwise healthy tooth.
When the dentist tapped around there was no pain so still not entirely sure of where the pain is originating (though I can see a more exposed "stained" tooth in that back side area from towards the tongue side)

A month later my tooth still hurts after I chew a few times in that area. I tried novamin toothpaste, duraphat that they gave me, dental varnish, gc mousse to try and avoid a filling (any comments or criticism on this approach and their proscribed duraphat is welcome)
I'm wondering, what alternatives are there to a filling for a tooth that is otherwise healthy from a dental treatment perspective, so that I can go in and ask for something less drastic than a filling?

Am I fine leaving it that way if I wanted to keep the healthy tooth and just put up with the pain for now?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If your dentist did not see any problems with your teeth and x-rays, then most likely you may be grinding and or clenching. You can try the store over-the-counter night guard. If you notice improvement, you may consider custom made night guards.

Vote:

Ask a Question