Allergy or hypersensitivity to debatable implant

Hi I had a titanium dental implant placed 1.5 years ago. Due to Covid and my dentist being on vacation quite a bit I have finally had the tooth put on. Even prior to the crown being placed I had a very irritated mouth all around the entire time. i have cried about it many times. I was hoping that my symptoms would disappear with crown Placement. But it has not worked. I have burning in my mouth, kind of itchiness in mouth • a bad taste, severe tongue reaction next to the implant. The tongue is red, many white inflamed taste buds and is very painful. The piece of gum behind my implant which is number 31 all the way back is red and inflamed compared to the other side.

Is my only option to remove the implant? Has anyone ever heard of this allergy or sensitivity? How bad will it be to take the implant out?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Is this implant screw retained or cement retained? Have you spoken to the dentist/oral surgeon that placed the implant regarding the reaction? Inflammation around an implant is never a good thing, since it can eventually lead to peri-implantitis, bone loss and implant loss.

Vote:
Good day

Is this implant screw retained or cement retained? Have you spoken to the dentist/oral surgeon that placed the implant regarding the reaction? Inflammation around an implant is never a good thing, since it can eventually lead to peri-implantitis, bone loss and implant loss.
Yes, I have notified the dentist and the oral surgeon. They said it is placed normally, not infected and is osseointegrated.

Has anyone else had a bad reaction like mine? The implant has been shaved down at the lab to keep away from my tongue. But my tongue looks red, like ground hamburger on that side. Very different from the other side. Also always hava a bad taste, uncomfortable irritated mouth all around. Makes me want to chew gum all the time. I am not a gum chewer.

It is screw retained.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do you perhaps have any photos of the area? In the rare case that you have a contact dermatitis or allergy to the metals used, it is something that you will have to get tested for.
But it is also important to make sure this pain, redness and irritation is not due to another underlying condition, that happened to coincide with the implant placement.
It is best in such a case to see the oral surgeon in his office for a consultation.

Vote:

Ask a Question