Advice for 0.5mm distance of filling to pulp + trismus + root canal? PLEASE

Meg

In a span of ~ 1 month, I had wisdom tooth removed and filling done then 1.5 weeks later I got a “deep” teeth cleaning done then another 1.5 weeks later I had 2 fillings done on lower left back 2 molars. Dentist mentioned fillings on lower right molars were broken but teeth/fillings were still ok which is why I didn’t feel any pain/sensitivity. However when the dentist started drilling the molars I still felt nerve pain/sensitivity even with the initial dose of septocaine so the drilling stopped and another dose was given (different location). After the dentist finished the filling, Everything seemed ok until the anesthetic wore off. I had lower jaw pain and ear pain which was not common for me after any of the fillings I’ve done before. I was super tense throughout all the previous and recent procedures -clenching my hands together even sweating.

So I couldn’t really open my jaw and the jaw and ear pain (similar to an ear infection) was getting worse thoughout the evening so I took ibuprofen and the pain went away. the next day I could open my mouth a little more to fit the toothbrush in my mouth but not fully to brush my tongue. It almost felt like I what a locked jaw would feel like. Sharp Ear pains would come if I tried to open my mouth wider.

Went back to the same place but different dentist was working that day. This second dentist told me that I needed a root canal because the filling on the last right molar that was done was really close to my nerve/pulp - Around 0.58mm or 0.558mm from the nerve. I’m upset that the first dentist didn’t check this before doing the filling. Anyways, The second dentist said the filling itself is good but I may be reacting to the pressure of the filling close to the nerve/pulp. Also could be a bacterial infection so I was prescribed amoxicillin 875mg and ibuprofen 800mg. Also the dentist mentioned trismus for my jaw. It’s been 4 days and i still fully cannot open my jaw. I can eat on both sides I just can’t open my mouth wide enough to fit the food unless it’s chopped. My teeth on the other areas have become a little more sensitive but it comes and goes.

My appt for root canal Is in 4 days. I am extremely anxious. My mouth isn’t able to open wide enough for the long procedure and the dentist seems to brush that part off and says I’ll be fine. Doesn't have the most delicate hands either. I have been losing sleep over the anxiety and dread. Do I really need to do this root canal procedure right after the antibiotics are done? The dentist didn’t even do a pulp test partially because I couldn’t open my mouth wide and long enough, but did mention a possible high filling that needs to be lowered in one area during the bite test. There wasn't any noticeable, awkward bite for me. So this root canal is Basically decided from an X-ray/filling-to-pulp distance. X-ray was even torture to take because I couldn't open my mouth wide enough. It even dug into my lower mouth -- didn't help I have a small mouth to begin with. I’m just concerned that there’s enough trauma to my jaw muscles and this root canal is going to make my recovery a lot worse right now. I don't want permanent TMD. Plus the immense pain during the procedure. I just don’t think I can handle the mouth opening for a long time again.

Is ~0.5mm really a close distance for the pulp and filling to warrant a root canal? Could it be Causing my jaw trismus/ear pain? Or can I wait until I heal physically and psychologically first? I have had a root canal before and it was super unpleasant. Again trauma. Lastly, should I even try “laughing gas” to chill me out? Never tried that before…or just pop a Valium prior to procedure. Words of advice appreciated. Thanks

Ask a Question