Adjust crown or get a new one?

Hi all

I had a crown fitted about 15-20 years ago and it's lasted pretty good until the last year or so. It's moved from it's original position thereby leaving a 4mm gap (which I'm not too happy about).

Can the dentist adjust it or would I need a brand new one? - I know the cost would be about £244 for a new one but would it be just as good by re-aligning the old one? It's been cemented down since the day it was put on.

Thanks in advance.

Your dentist can adjust it however, if it has already been 15-20 years I would recommend getting a new crown otherwise you may have other problems with your current crown down the line.

If you're worried about crown costs there are dental labs that work with dentists on this kinda stuff. My dentist uses a dental lab of my friends and they always offer specials for the dentists to offer their patients. If you're in the Georgia area I would be happy to refer you to them or you can have your local dentist contact the lab.

Vote:
Solutions
I wouldn't personally rush into changing it unless there's a structural problem or open margin. Try adjusting first. There is always a risk with changing dental work because it can trigger the root to die. It shouldn't happen but it's a risk. You could also end up with a different feel to the bite which you might not like. If you're very distressed by the appearance then fair enough. But just be aware there are risks.

Vote:

Ask a Question