Accidentally got full mouth crowns

I feel like very naive and just not smart because I didn’t realize I was getting a full mouth of crowns. I am now in my temporary set. I’m not really happy with them but not sure how to proceed. But since I can’t go back, I have a few questions.

1. Is there a certain material or anything else I should request for my permanent crowns? We planned for porcelain. Is zirconia better? I clench and grind my teeth. I have issues with crowns in the past. They tend to be a bit sensitive and my gums around them recede.

2. How long will these last before I need to replace?

3. Is there anything I can do to make them last longer?

4. Are there any diet restrictions or things I should avoid?

5. Anything else I should know or expect?

Thank you in advance!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Feldspathic porcelains were the mainstay of crown for many years along with metal-fused-to-metal ("VMKs"). Nowadays there is a much greater variety of ceramics available. Yes, zirconia is very strong, but requires more tooth removal and is damnably hard to adjust or remove if the need arises - I avoid using zirconia. If you ask most older dentists which material they'd prefer, you'll find we often have a penchant for gold crowns on molar teeth. They can be made very thin with fine margins, and have excellent wear and strength characteristics. We've seen them last a very long time (up to a lifetime) with the usual maintenance.

Vote:

Ask a Question