Abscess problem.

Solutions
Hello. I’m just wondering if I should call the dentist back to try get an appointment to see someone.
About 3/4 weeks ago I started getting toothache and an abscess. It wasn’t excruciating pain but I was taking ibuprofen and paracetamol. Called the dentist and I got a 5 day prescription for amoxicillin.
After he course I didn’t have any pain just the abscess. Now it seams to be a bit bigger and I feel a pressure in my gum.
Should I call up again to get an appointment/ another prescription? Not entirely sure how serious this is! i have attached the best photo I could take. Thank you.
1B24DA27-D34E-4718-903D-C2B979FB7271.jpeg

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It does seem like an abscess. An xray will probably confirm it. This problem needs to be addressed as soon as you can. Depending on how structurally sound the tooth is, you can save it with a root canal, core filling, and crown or have it extracted.

Vote:
Solutions
It does seem like an abscess. An xray will probably confirm it. This problem needs to be addressed as soon as you can. Depending on how structurally sound the tooth is, you can save it with a root canal, core filling, and crown or have it extracted.
Thank you! Would you say it’s urgent?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I think it needs attention. You don't want to wait until it swells up blocking your airway. Abscesses can be unpredictable. They may seem stable now but when all the dental offices close on weekends or Holidays, it can blow up causing misery.

Vote:
Solutions
Thank you. I worked with somebody who what you explained happened too. Ended up with a large scar across his neck and a day or two in ICU. I shall call my dentist in the morning.

Vote:

Ask a Question