Abscess issue

AVM

upload_2018-4-17_21-3-9.png

What do you think about this XRAY. Root treatment or molar remove?

Thank you very much!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  • Abscess has most likely arisen from previous large filling in back of tooth. The ortho treatment should be stalled, and you should see an endodontist for an RCT. It will take a minimum of 6 months before you can restart ortho treatment.
  • Alternatively, if you extract this tooth, it'll probably make the ortho treatment more difficult because you'll lose a large anchor tooth; an implant might then possible if all goes well, but not assured.
  • The wisdom tooth just off screen is probably of no use either way, so don't go thinking you'll just extract the 1st molar and move everything forward.
  • I'd go the path of endo.

Vote:

AVM

• Abscess has most likely arisen from previous large filling in back of tooth. The ortho treatment should be stalled, and you should see an endodontist for an RCT. It will take a minimum of 6 months before you can restart ortho treatment.
  • Alternatively, if you extract this tooth, it'll probably make the ortho treatment more difficult because you'll lose a large anchor tooth; an implant might then possible if all goes well, but not assured.
  • The wisdom tooth just off screen is probably of no use either way, so don't go thinking you'll just extract the 1st molar and move everything forward.
  • I'd go the path of endo.

Thanks for the opinion.
In june last year after three mounths of putting the ceramic inlay my panoramic xray was very good. The plan was to move the three molars and feel up the premolar space. My wisdom tooth is healthy just came up two years ago. The only problem is that it got only 1 root and not two. Do you think it was a good idea to drag all three molars in front to fill up the space?

upload_2018-4-18_14-15-59.png

Last edited:

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thst's part of the problem with wisdoms; they don't always have a good root shape. However, if you can do it, it's worth a go, but it won't be as good as a 1st or 2nd molar.

Vote:

AVM

Thanks! Today I went for endo and the doctor gave 50% probability of recovery depending on how the body will respond in 6-12 month...and also said to have parodontosis root cleaning and bone addition. Sounds complicated. What do you think?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Can you explain a bit more, please? Did you go to a dentist, or an endodontist? If the RCT is completed, then there is no indication for root cleaning (planing?) and/or bone addition (grafting?). Normally the bone will naturally reform after the RCT is completed, but it will take a minimum of 6 months to be sure from an Xray that all is going well.

Vote:

AVM

Can you explain a bit more, please? Did you go to a dentist, or an endodontist? If the RCT is completed, then there is no indication for root cleaning (planing?) and/or bone addition (grafting?). Normally the bone will naturally reform after the RCT is completed, but it will take a minimum of 6 months to be sure from an Xray that all is going well.

Yes, I had the rct. They advise me also to do a "bone" cleaning at the paradontosis doctor...and bone adition if necesarry. The endo doctor said on the xray the infection was large...and she gave me 50% chanses. After the root was extracted she said that everything went well...hope it will get better . Thanks a lot for the advices you gave really useful. Really apriciated!

Vote:

Ask a Question