Abscess I think but we are in strict lockdown

Solutions
Hi chaps, we are in our 70s and I'm pretty fit but my wife is vulnerable, (diabetic and a couple of other issues). I have a tooth problem, possibly an abscess, my dentist can't see me until July ... there is an emergency service nearby and I'll be telephoning when I can get through. My question, how much of a risk is it, I cannot compromise my wife's health but the tooth problem probably won't go away, is it possible to visit a clinic and guarantee no risk ? Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The issues with dental treatment is that the staff could get exposed to a COVID positive patient, not the other way around. We are scared of YOU for a change! Otherwise the precautions should be that they don't have a packed waiting room (social distancing), that they have at least alcohol rub for your hands (please don't touch armrests in waiting room), and that they perform only enough treatment to deal with your problem. If the tooth has to be drilled to relieve the abscess, they should ideally place a rubber dam to minimise the aerosol generated by the drill. I have not yet heard of a case of a dentist or their staff contracting COVID from a patient, maybe because we treat you all as bags of germs - ha!

Vote:
Solutions
Excellent and very reassuring Matt, I'll call the emergency number tonight ... I'll wear gloves and keep my mouth shut ... of course that's not an option. Stay safe.

Vote:

Ask a Question