Abscess going away by itself is it normal?

I had an abscess going up the side of my tooth I went to my dentist who prescribe me a week Supply of amoxicillin it did not go away she gave me another week of amoxicillin it still didn't go away she wanted me to go to an oral surgeon to have my tooth pulled but I didn't it never hurt and was never in pain so I left it alone it has been two months and it has started to go away I have no answers but it's this normal?

Thank you for your reply, it is tooth 31 and I am 51 years old . As I am in New York my dentist is not part of the NHS it has never hurt and get better day by day. I guess I should make another visit to the dentist.
I had a tooth absess recently due to a cracked root. The abscess never hurt. Periodically the absess would get "better" with less inflamed gum to normal looking. My dentist told me that was normal process as there are periods when the body's immune system (or your antibiotics) will overcome the infection -but it will always return if the infection is due to a cracked root. If this is your situation, then ultimately the tooth will need to come out (as happened with me). If the infection is not due to a cracked root, then I understand it might be treated successfully with antibiotics or a re-doing if a root canal. Note, A cracked root will not show up on an xray (as I understand it).

Vote:

Ask a Question