Abcess after fillings?

I have 2 boys, ages 7 and 9, who have been going for regular 6-month dental checkups since they were 2. A year ago, both had tiny cavities in baby teeth filled by the same dentist on the same day. 6 months later, my 9-year-old's filled tooth abscessed, and then now (a year later), my 7-year-old's filled tooth abscessed. Antibiotics were prescribed, and both of the abscessed teeth were removed. No other alternatives were provided, such as draining the abscess before deciding to pull the teeth. Neither tooth had further decay when they were pulled.

I grilled the dentist as to why this happened, and the dentist has no explanation. While my goal will be to prevent further cavities from forming in the first place (my husband has never had a cavity and I get one or two about every 10 years), I need to have an understanding of what needs to be done differently to prevent abscesses from forming if my kids ever have a tooth filled again, especially if it is in a permanent tooth.

Ask a Question