Tooth (number 13) broke off

A tooth (number 13 ) broke off several months ago. It has not given me any pain or discomfort, but my dentist said it "has to go," (not giving me a deadline).

Can anyone here say whether this tooth (in the attachment) "has to go" (be removed)? In order for me to keep my mouth pain-free during the foreseeable future, does the attachment indicate the removal of the tooth? (I'm 80.)
Tooth.jpg

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you are not experiencing pain and or swelling, you may delay extraction. I'm not seeing any clear signs of pathology in the bone. Hopefully the retained fragment does not feel sharp or rough. I've seen cases like yours remain symptom free. Make sure you keep the area as clean as possible to minimize disease.

Vote:
Thank you! I'll see "my" dentist again in about three months and find out what he thinks at that point in time. It's interesting (at least to me) that he said the tooth had "to go" but has suggested keeping a lower wisdom tooth for at least twenty years. "No," the retained fragment doesn't feel sharp or rough, thank goodness. I've been "cavity free" for at least ten years, brush four or five times a day, water pik three or four times a day, and floss five or six times a day

I forgot to mention in my first post that I don't experience any real eating difficulties in that area.

Last edited:

Vote:
As long as you have no swelling, infection, or inflammation around the area, you should not have any urgent needs there.
I had the tooth extracted and am now facing another extraction described at:

Vote:

Ask a Question