5 Year Old With Underbite

Hi All,
My 5-year-old daughter has an underbite and her dentist has recommended potentially making a correction now. Having researched as much as I can, it seems at her age this may be too early and we should wait until she is around 7 years old. Is it normal to do it at this age? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing this now? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've attached some photos.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5399 2.jpg
    IMG_5399 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5400 2.jpg
    IMG_5400 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5401 2.jpg
    IMG_5401 2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 90

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
My daughter who is almost 8 has it worse. Usually lower anterior adult teeth erupts behind the baby teeth but her's were still in severe underbite where it is unopposed with the top teeth. We started her therapy last summer 2019 and in 3 months, it was corrected. However, her top baby teeth fell out and for over a year, the top front adult teeth never erupted. 2 months ago, I had to cut into her gums to expose the top adult teeth and they erupted the next day (she wasn't very pleased with the process due to receiving numerous painful shots).

I would wait until your daughter's adult teeth starts to erupt. They may self correct since the top teeth erupts more on the lip side and the bottom as mentioned, closer to the tongue side to an ideal overbite.

Vote:
My daughter who is almost 8 has it worse. Usually lower anterior adult teeth erupts behind the baby teeth but her's were still in severe underbite where it is unopposed with the top teeth. We started her therapy last summer 2019 and in 3 months, it was corrected. However, her top baby teeth fell out and for over a year, the top front adult teeth never erupted. 2 months ago, I had to cut into her gums to expose the top adult teeth and they erupted the next day (she wasn't very pleased with the process due to receiving numerous painful shots).

I would wait until your daughter's adult teeth starts to erupt. They may self correct since the top teeth erupts more on the lip side and the bottom as mentioned, closer to the tongue side to an ideal overbite.
Thanks very much. Makes sense. seems best to wait until her permanent teeth have come through.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes, you normally wait until the first adult molars erupt at ~6yo and also changeover of adult incisors, which brings you to about 8yo. Also, an 8yo is more likely to tolerate an appliance than a 5yo.

Vote:

Ask a Question