5 and 6mm pockets

Hello, I’m new to the forum.

I’m 72 years old and I didn’t start having periodontal probe measurements done in my mouth until 8 years ago, after I changed dentists. My pockets were always 2, 3 and a few 4 mm’s.

When the coronavirus occurred, I was afraid to go to the dentist. After 12 months I broke down and made an appointment. My pocket probe readings, taken by the hygienist, were up to 5 mm & 6 mm’s on my back capped molars, and more 4 mm’s than I had before.

I’m meticulous about brushing, flossing, Proxa brushing, antibacterial rinsing, and wearing a night guard. I don’t what else care I could do at home.

I’m worried and I don’t know what should I do next?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sounds like you're doing a meticulous job of maintenance. Is this the same hygienist who charted 2,3,4s?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, not the same hygienist. In fact, my dentist sold his practice and retired. The whole staff is new. The dentists don't own the practice, it's more of a clinic now.
There is a chance if you are in the US, the hygienist gets production pay for Scaling & Root Planing. If so, it is to his/her advantage to record deeper probe readings to justify those procedures. Get different opinions at another clinic if your last dentist sold his practice. The new owner may be hungrier.

Vote:

Ask a Question