3 Year Old, Intruded Milk Tooth

Hi,

I really hope someone can help me! I am asking about my three year old son.

About a year ago one of his front teeth (milk tooth) appeared to be shortening, I realised it was moving up into the gum. It slowly (over months) moved up until there was only a tiny amount showing. People constantly asked if he had lost a tooth. As far as I am aware he experienced no trauma to his mouth that might have caused this. The only way would be if it was caused by a minor bump that he didn't even tell me about!

I took him to the dentist twice, he could not understand why it had happened if there was no mouth injury, he didn't X-ray or investigate further, just said what he could see of the tooth looked healthy so just to leave it.

Towards the end of last year the tooth began to move down again on its own. By January it was almost level with the other front tooth. I was relieved and thought that was the end of it. However the tooth appears now to have started moving up again. It also appears slightly discoloured, yellow.

I'm sorry this is such a long message but I'm so worried and the dentist doesn't see any issue with it! They don't want to X-ray because of his age. Please can anyone offer any advice?!

Hope to hear from someone soon :)

Marie

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I have never in my career heard of a tooth going into, out of, then into the jaw again. The most likely explanation is that the gums are growing up (getting swollen) which gives the illusion of the tooth sinking in. You need to investigate why that may be happening instead.

Vote:
Please take your child to the dentist immediately. It is very important to start maintaining your child's oral health since the time he/she is born. Mothers of new born babies often believe that because the baby is missing teeth, their mouth does not require any cleaning. This is an unhealthy practice that is dangerous to your baby’s health. A mouth has bacteria irrespective of the person’s age. It is important to clean the mouth of babies right from birth. Use a damp and soft piece of cloth to clean the gums of your baby. With your finger, try and clean the tongue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:
Thank you for your responses, he has an appointment tomorrow so hopefully they will have some answers. If the gum is swelling would that make only one tooth look like it was moving up?

Enrique he is 3 and has a full set off teeth which I brush twice daily and have since he was a baby. he has visited the dentist since age 2.5 so I don't believe it is related to bacteria or poor hygiene but thank you for responding to my post :)

Vote:

Ask a Question