3 tooth infections in a year

Hello! This year I’m having already the third tooth+gum infection and all of them on different teeth. All of these teeth were treated in different periods of my life (root canal+crown). Every time it starts from the light pain when chewing and then quickly escalates to unbearable pain all the time that hardly goes away under painkillers. Then gum around that tooth gets swollen and then the cheek. On the x-ray it shows pus near the root.

This year I was pregnant and now I’m breastfeeding. My hygiene is pretty OK in my opinion- I brush twice a day with electrical toothbrush, floss and use mouthwash that I got from my dentist.

What could be the reason of such frequent infections? And what should I do or check to prevent in the future again? It’s so exhausting and I’m terrified of getting it again

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Do you perhaps have any x-rays? It sounds like your root canals are failing. I would go see your dentist so that these teeth can be examined and options such as retreatments or extractions can be discussed.

Vote:
Hello, thanks for reply. I don’t have my x-rays on me unfortunately, but yes I went to the dentist each time and all teeth were treated. What bothers me is why it happened so many times this year… maybe there is some reason for that or is it just a pure coincidence

Vote:
I can understand your situation. I came accross the same

My dentist after 2 infection of teeth treatment. He immediately did a FULL MOUTH CT scan and than a MRI ( he said MRI is not required but he wanted to see some other aspects)

Than he educated me that some people have mesio or posterior or anterior teeths in a odd way or direction which causes trauma and leads to some apex level infection in a course of time or create sinus tract etc etc

After my CT dentist treated all my issues not just symptomatic but also asymptomatic things also in my both arch
I also asked why CT and MRI , he said sometimes some asymptomatic issues with teeth or surrounding parts can not be revealed with IOPA or OPG etc ( even symptomatic)

Such as small discontinuity at apex of palatal root etc

Vote:
I can understand your situation. I came accross the same

My dentist after 2 infection of teeth treatment. He immediately did a FULL MOUTH CT scan and than a MRI ( he said MRI is not required but he wanted to see some other aspects)

Than he educated me that some people have mesio or posterior or anterior teeths in a odd way or direction which causes trauma and leads to some apex level infection in a course of time or create sinus tract etc etc

After my CT dentist treated all my issues not just symptomatic but also asymptomatic things also in my both arch
Wow interesting! I’ll try to make my dentist do a CT scan too, thanks a lot!

Vote:

Ask a Question