3 tooth dentures

I have to have 3 tooth dentures at the rear top of my mouth and worried I may not be able to eat certain foods. My question is are there different types of dentures.?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

You get acrylic partial dentures, which are plastic. They sometimes cover your palate, and can be uncomfortable. They also sometimes limit your taste.
Then you get chrome cobalt dentures, which are more comfortable, but also more expensive. Depending on the design, they don't influence your taste as much, but are less adjustable.
You also get flexible type of dentures, such as valplast dentures.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Valplast dentures are not necessarily the most expensive.
When we talk about adjustable, I mean that you can repair or add on additional components such as an additional tooth with relative ease. Acrylic dentures can easily be added onto. With chrome cobalt dentures, you have a metal framework. The clasps can't always be adjusted and you can only add in certain cases.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Further to Dr M: Valplast are an injected nylon that can be made with plastic clasps. Probably wouldn't be used in your case. Cannot be added to if you later lose more teeth.
Any type of 3-tooth denture for only back teeth may not be particularly useful or comfortable. So, prob suggest you go for a cheap acrylic denture, but it may be a bit bulky. A CrCo (metal framework) would be less bulky and fit better but often in cases like yours the metalwork may be hard to design.

Vote:

Ask a Question