2nd opinion (X-ray)

Hi all, new to the forum and in the UK, not convinced on my dentists opinion and would like a second one please.

here is my X-ray:
5CEC206C-CCB0-4034-95DE-713A98DB813E.jpeg

concerning the second tooth in from the bottom, I’m being told the area I’ve marked on the tooth has decayed away.

309C21EA-5F81-45DB-A513-A4FC87D14562.jpeg

and that the best option is expensive extraction, followed by an implant at a total cost of £3k, which I cannot afford. I’d love to get that done but it’s just out of reach.

I’m not convinced on the decay. Tooth feels strong, I don’t sense it’s as weak as he makes it out to be, and have no real issues with it. He gave me a few options, but the short story is, crippling expenses or have it removed.

should I worry?

UK dentistry is difficult, you either take NHS care, which is basic, or private, which is very expensive and despite me having a level of dental insurance, it won’t cover this.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
That black area under the crown is significant decay. There is another black area under the root with the 2 root canal fillings. It is hard to determine if the root is healing (scar in the x-ray) or diseased. Your most important indication is swelling. If you have no swelling, the body may be managing diseased area. You have some options. The most conservative is to do a filling repair on the decay. However, it may only be short term and very difficult to access properly. You may get a few years at best and will experience swelling and or pain (need to extract). Depending if the 3rd tooth from the back on Upper & Lower opposes each other when you bite, you won't experience hyper-eruption of the top tooth if the decayed tooth gets extracted. The far back lower molar will tip forward (mesial drifting) until the bite against the top teeth stabilizes. You may not need an implant if you get used to the empty space.

Vote:
Thank you. I really don’t want to have it extracted if I can save it. I’ve had one molar removed on the opposite side, lower, and I fully regret it. It caused the neighbouring teeth to deteriorate quickly and the opposite tooth on the upper jaw is clearly descending.

Totally heart breaking to chose between debt or tooth loss in these unprecedented times.

Appreciate the response, feeling a little deflated at the moment.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I always put myself in your (patients) place and I understand your feelings. I'm very big on prevention and I never want people's teeth and gums to deteriorate. The best we can do at this point is to bring awareness and treatment options. It will be a matter of time for the bad tooth to get extraction. You don't need to have an implant. There are other less desirable options like partial denture or just leaving it. Just be aware of the potential teeth shifting.

Vote:

Ask a Question