20 years of bone atrophy and the reality of dental implants

Approximately 20 years ago, at the age of 13, I had a traumatic event which led to the loss of the L & R maxillary central and lateral incisors.

At age 18 or 19, I went to see a prosthodontist who said that I would not be a good candidate for a dental implant as my bone was still developing and to try in a couple more years. In the mean time, it was suggested that I have braces to straighten out the teeth on the mandibular arch as they attempted to elevate and try and fill the gap the missing teeth left behind. Following that, it was suggested that I have a maryland bridge of which the wings would be supported by the two canines on either side. I've had this setup for almost 20 years. Although, it has come loose a handful of times, it is always on the back of my mind and a cause for concern as it is not very secure when compared to other solutions.

In recent years, I've revisited the thought of having implants, so I have consulted with a variety of prosthodontists. There was no consensus as to whether I'm a suitable candidate for a bone graft or not. This would be due to the bone atrophy. My option moving forward:

(a) to risk getting a bone graft with a prosthodontist that thinks I have a chance

(b) to get a bridge
> This comes with other issues like why kill healthy canines and premolars? How many supporting teeth are required....can support from canine and 1st premolar suffice or will 2nd premolar need to support as well (possibly 6 healthy teeth compromised)

(c) continue as I am with maryland bridge.

I guess, I'm hoping to hear stories of others that might have been in my situation and how they were able to overcome it.
P.S.
I live in the UK where dental implants are expensive.
Happy to share a CBCT scan

Hope to hear from you all.

Sure

Attachments

• A.PNG
    A.PNG
    371.4 KB · Views: 71
  • B.PNG
    B.PNG
    551.9 KB · Views: 70
  • C.PNG
    C.PNG