#2 Tooth removal or Root Canal???

I need a root canal on my #2 tooth. In case I got that wrong, it’s the tooth on the upper right side next to the wisdom tooth. I have been having pain there for a long time and last year had that upper right wisdom tooth pulled hoping that was the issue. Wasn’t very long after the pain continued and this time I was told the #2 needed a root canal. My question is, I have been told I don’t need that tooth. But I don’t want to lose it if I don’t have to. The only reason I have not had a root canal done is financial. I can have the tooth pulled for $20.00 or pay over $1000.00+ for the root canal. The Endodontics Dr. told me when people have teeth replaced, the back 2 teeth are not replaced on each side so I shouldn’t miss it. Curious if anybody has had this tooth removed, either side upper or lower, and if you noticed it being gone.

Thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I understand the finances can impact your decision making. Keep in mind after the root canal, the tooth will also need a crown. If you live near a teaching facility like the dental school, you can consider having a referral to graduate endodontics dept for root canal and have the school place the crown. Since teeth erupt until they are opposed, any unopposing bottom teeth can continue to erupt if #2 is extracted. If all options and consequences are considered, extraction of #2 would make most financial sense.

Vote:
Thanks for your advice. I am aware I will need a crown. I don't have access to a dental school locally but that is a good idea and I will look into that. It's my understanding, having the upper pulled with an opposing tooth still below is better than an upper without the bottom. Thanks again for taking time to reply, extraction is looking like the best option.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sometimes when you pull #2, the bottom opposing tooth will oppose to the back side of #3 and not hyper-erupt. From my observations, it takes about 5 years of shifting (not having any other teeth pulled or restored during this time) to see where they'll likely end up.

Vote:

Ask a Question