2 root canals, same tooth, still some pain... help...

Hi,

I had a root canal and crown done some months ago. After the 1st one, I began feeling sensitivity and pain with hot, cold and chewing. My dentist opened it back up and found that it was infected due to leakage. He said he could not have known it was infected until he opened it. He refilled the root canal and sealed it. It took two weeks to get my crown and I noticed sensitivity again. When it came time to put the crown on, I had him put it on temporarily just in case, because he said he had no idea why I would be feeling it. It's been a few weeks since then. It doesn't feel like the time it was infected, but I feel soreness and some pain through pressure. Today, I went back and he agreed to do the root canal again... My question is why? Just to fill it, go through the pain and have the same problem. '

My questions:

Is there something he's not telling me?

Is he missing something? Because he says he can't see anything in the new x-ray. But this time he said he noticed a circle around the top of the root canal in the old x-ray post 1st root canal, but said before, that he couldn't have known there was an infection till he opened it. Contradiction.

I have sensitivity/soreness when I push on the front side of the tooth worked on, chewing on it, but less when pressing on the back side. ???

I advised (I advised, geez...) that he check my bite again. He did and found some touching, so he shaved a little off. I said that I'd take a little time to see if that helps and to ponder what to do next. He's not offering any sound advice here.

Please help!!!

Judy C

hello

It would help if i knew which tooth it is, but sometimes a failed root canal can result from a missed canal.More commonly with molars, especially upper molars.
this untreated canal will harbour bacteria, which will grow and infect the tooth.
Perhaaps you should see an endodontist and ask him about thye possibility of a canal being missed.

Hope this helps
Regards

Vote:

Ask a Question