2 months of pain. HELP!

So I have basically been having pain in my lower left side of my mouth since end of April/early May.

It originally started when a filling fell off on tooth #20 and re-doing the filling twice did not help and pain got worse but nothing showed up on X-ray.

During this time my jaw muscles spasmed/flared up that it was very hard to chew and I also had inflamed lymph nodes below my jaw line which required ammoxicillan.

On June 13 (friday the 13th lol) I went to see endodontist who took X-ray but then also did tests and said tooth was so inflamed and irritated that it needed a root canal ASAP. Got the root canal on the spot.

Had consistent pain which as of yesterday went to more of an on and off on the entire left side of my mouth since then, top and bottom teeth. Went to see dentist today because the top pain in my teeth seemed to be a little worse and also the root canal treated tooth seemed to be okay but the 2 molars behind it were kind of painful.

Dentist did X-rays first, which showed a shadow beneath tooth #18, which he referred me back to the endodontist for. The pain in the tooth #18 comes and goes and is no where near the amount of pain I had with tooth #20, which had no signs of anything with X-Ray.

I did get temp crown put on tooth #20 today so I am in pain all over again from that.

I go see endo on Wed July 2.

My question is, I didn't seem to have any pain in this tooth prior to getting root canal on #20 and no signs on X-ray either, is this related to root canal from #20 or just something completely different and bad luck. Also could this be relaying pain to my upper teeth as well. Just didn't want to put out money for a root canal and crown if this is something that is related from the last tooth.

Fortunately #20 was 100% covered for root canal and just paid $850 for crown, but #18 would be a lot more expensive since it's a multi root tooth and not 100% covered, although my dentist said he could discount the crown some if I needed a root canal and crown on #18.

It has been a very frustrating last 2 months and it looks like it is going to be getting more expensive as well. My husband and I were looking forward to this summer with our vacation in 5 weeks and then trying to start a family, if I can ever get all my dental problems taken care of. So far it has been miserable.

Sorry for all of your discomfort. That must be so frustrating. If you end up needing a root canal on #18 it would not be caused by #20. It's a separate issue. Insurance does not cover root canals at different percentages based on how many canals are in the tooth. If #18 is not covered it could be because you're running out of benefits for the year. You may want to check to see when your plan rolls over. If it's soon or within the next couple of months, you may want to wait on the crown for #18 until you have more insurance benefits available. In most cases if you're careful, the crown doesn't have to be done immediately.

Vote:
I do not need another root canal saw endodontist yesterday. All my teeth are fine,My trigeminal nerve is irritated causing a bunch of pain throughout all my teeth. I saw my PCP and was put on Neurontin as this has happened before after dental work and that helped calm the facial nerve down. My insurance covers root canals based on the # of canals and the type of tooth, if it is a molar it is only 60% covered but if its a single root tooth its covered 100%. Crown is only covered to 60% no matter the type of tooth. So for #20 I was only responsible for crown cost. Luckily I do not need anything done with #18 and now it's just hoping the Neuontin keeps the pain under control and that it doesn't get irritated again once I get the perm on #20. Once that gets done hopefully things will start to get better. Thanks for your response.

Vote:

Ask a Question