2 Hygentists inject novocaine to same patient, is this legal?

In the state of Washington, dental hygienists can administer Novocaine injections. One came in and injected Novocaine. A while later, I needed more and a totally different person cam in and injected more. Is this legal? Who keeps tract of the amounts? I am becoming very concerned about the lack of oversight because I am sensitive to these anesthetics. My ultimate feeling is find a dentist who administers his/her own anesthetic?

Solutions
Hygienists also have to qualify before they work on patients and I'm sure they have been trained to administer Novocaine if that's the protocol in your state. But if you don't feel safe with a particular dental practice then you should go elsewhere. At the end of the day if you don't want it then you should not give consent.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
In the state of Washington, dental hygienists can administer Novocaine injections. One came in and injected Novocaine. A while later, I needed more and a totally different person cam in and injected more. Is this legal? Who keeps tract of the amounts? I am becoming very concerned about the lack of oversight because I am sensitive to these anesthetics. My ultimate feeling is find a dentist who administers his/her own anesthetic?
They should be keeping track in their records. That said, it would take a lot of LA to overdose. In the US LA cartridges contain 1.8mL, so the Maximum Recommended Dose (MRD) would be about 13 cartridges. The MRD is half the toxic dose, but there are records of people having even more.

Vote:

Ask a Question