~15 year old root canal treatment. Evaluation appreciated

It's the left maxillary central incisor. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

200305_2.jpg

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It was never filled with a proper root filling material, gutta percha. It seems to only have a paste or cement residue present. You've been lucky.
I wonder if you're asking about a crown too? You can't put a crown on that tooth unless the root canal has been done properly.

Vote:
It was never filled with a proper root filling material, gutta percha. It seems to only have a paste or cement residue present. You've been lucky.
I wonder if you're asking about a crown too? You can't put a crown on that tooth unless the root canal has been done properly.

Thank you for your response!

In what way was I lucky? What could have happened that doesn't seem to have happened according to the x-ray

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Without a proper root filling, any bacteria could propagate in the spaces and develop into an abscess. However, if the tooth has only been mildly infected at the time of the accident, and the canal has had some cleaning, then your body has been able to contain the relatively small number of bacteria still present. Nor does an Xray reliably show the presence of an infection - it's more judged on symptoms.

Vote:

Ask a Question