Wisdom Teeth Extraction did not go well - question now

I had my wisdom teeth removed a few weeks before Xmas. I should make it clear that I am no longer seeing my dentist; the process was terrible. She extracted them under a local and was distracted the whole time and stabbed me repeatedly while stitching up the sockets because she was having another conversation. She also left in the middle of the procedure to go see another patient, leaving me alone with my mouth jacked open and blood in my mouth. One of the lower teeth was a lot more complicated than she'd implied and curved around my jaw. I suspect she should have referred me to an oral surgeon for that one but didn't want to lose out on the $$$ doing it herself. Horrible experience and I'm not really a baby about this kind of stuff in general.

When I left, she gave me really vague instructions about after care and sent me home. I did my best but still developed dry socket and an infection a few days later in the lower (complicated) extraction site. I returned to the office and they grudgingly saw me (made me wait forever too) and she gave me a clove packing and an antibiotics prescription (nothing for pain) and told me to take the clove pack out in 9 days. Well, it fell out in the 3 so I went back to get it repacked. Once again, they grudgingly saw me. Went home, that night the pain got worse to the point where I couldn't sleep or think. I called the next day and asked for something for pain and she said she'd call a prescription in right away to my local pharmacy. Went to the pharmacy and was upset because they seemed to have lost the prescription. They looked for a few hours while I ran errands. When I went back, the told me she'd JUST called in the prescription then (almost four hours since she said she'd do it right away).

Anyway, I know all of this detail is not relevant to the medical situation but the short version is: this woman is horrible, her office is horrible, they are disorganized, unprofessional and unconcerned with follow up.

It's now been about a month and I've recently developed what feels like a swollen flap of skin at the complicated lower extraction site. It seems to be getting bigger but I am having trouble telling. I am worried that there is something in there from before the dry socket healed up and that it's abscessing. Is that likely? Will it burst on its own if I wait? There's almost no pain except when I poke at it.

I really don't want to go back there but I'm not sure if any dentist will deal with me since she did the surgery and should be doing the follow up. I'm in Canada and insured if that makes any difference.

Any advice is appreciated. And for the record, I've documented everything that happened with the procedure and am sending a letter to her to explain why I'm leaving the practice. I haven't send it yet because I wanted to be 100% sure I was in the clear from complications before burning any bridges.

Hey skcup,

Something similar happened to me at around the exact same time as it happened to you. I had an abscess form at the back of my throat after wisdom teeth removal, which blocked my airway within 4 days (had to have an immediate surgery).
I hope that you have seen a medical professional about it, because sometimes rarities do happen. If it was infected, I hope you took some Antibiotics for it & that you're all good now.

I know it's a bit late, but if you see this I'd like a reply to see how you went with it. :)

Vote:
thanks for the reply - in the end, it turned out to be bits of tooth fragment working loose. I got about 3 of them that came to the surface and it ended up being okay. I spoke to several other dentists at the time who advised me what risks to watch out for so I would have sought medical help if necessary :)

Vote:

Ask a Question