Traumatic day at the dentist. Need advice

I have a had a bridge for three years, it spans two teeth and is connected to three teeth. Something didn't feel right so off to the dentist with me. The most rear (last tooth) was broken under the crown. The bridge had to be removed and the tooth pulled. Dentist said all my other teeth and crowns looked good, but I probably didn't take good care of the one that broke as it was so far back in my mouth.

I never had tooth pain, and the x-ray looked like a clean break. I don't remember biting down on anything as I baby this bridge. It cost me 4K. How can this happen? When I arrived home I see that it looks like she left the root and I wonder how much problem that will be? It's on my gum line.

I also had a bad tooth, farthest molar back, bottom left. I talked about it with her. Told her I had been on antibiotics for an unrelated cause and it cleared up the abscess I had in that tooth, but that I couldn't chew on it etc. without pain. I was very clear about identifying this tooth saying I didn't have a matching tooth above it so I thought I could afford to lose it. She took x-rays and said she would pull it.

So I was numb both sides of my mouth and my tongue was completely numb.

When I got home to change the dressing, I see she pulled the tooth next to my bad tooth, one I wouldn't have wanted to lose at all. It would have been worth a root canal, crown, whatever was needed.

I call and talked with her telling her she pulled the wrong tooth! She told me it had a large cavity so she pulled it, to be assured it was pretty bad. She also said if the one originally bothering me was still a problem to come back in two weeks after I heal and she will pull it also.

So, I effectively lost three teeth on my bottom right with the bridge loss, no teeth left to anchor to to create a new bridge. Now I have also lost a molar on the left and I'm sure the bad one will still have to be removed. The one on the left looks like she left some root there also.

My problem is, she didn't say "I am not going to pull the tooth you said was the problem, but instead pull one you didn't know there was a problem with" She didn't talk it over with me at all or give me any options. It was such a shock when I saw it in the mirror. Now I won't have any molars on either side and guess I am looking at dentures as I can't afford implants.

Are the root pieces she left going to be an issue? And I suspect it was a mistake that she pulled the wrong tooth on my left side and won't admit it.

I figure I'll get a copy of my x-rays and a second opinion, even though I can't afford that...I have no dental insurance. And I will still have to have the bad tooth pulled.

Nothing I do will replace my lost teeth but what recourse do I have? What can I do...so very frustrated!!!

Any advice would help. I am in pain and at a total loss as to what to do. Thank you!

Ask a Question