Strange problem with severe pain.

Hi everyone!

I have had a strange dental problem with teeth numbers 5, 6, and 18 for about the last 5 years. These teeth are causing severe and at time blinding pain with changes in air pressure. All teeth have had root canals that were delayed for a varity of reasons and when the root canals were performed, the roots were necrotic/half dried out. The pain in teeth 5 and 6 were initially diagnosed as trigeminal neuralgia, however I have none of the symptoms of trigeminal, other than the pain being in the general area of the trigeminal nerve. This pain, (5 and 6) would spread in a line, #5 going up my face, through the eye socket and into the scalp. #6 would go from the tooth along my cheek and into the back of my head. I finally convinced my dentist to extract #6 and that line of pain stopped after the extraction. #18 doesn't bother me that badly, it seems to just go down into my jawbone and not spread out.

I have seen several dentist as well as a neurologist who have not been able to figure out what is going on.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what I should look at next? I really would like to avoid having #5 pulled, but the pain is getting to be too much.

I would suggest that you find an oral surgeon since you have pain and swelling. It’s important for you to have a complete oral examination to determine the cause. Other causes of a toothache can include the following: Infection, Gum disease, Grinding teeth (bruxism), Tooth trauma, an abnormal bite. TMJ/TMD (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder), sinus or ear infections, and tension in the facial muscles can cause discomfort that resembles a toothache, but often these health problems are accompanied by a headache. Find a good dental clinic and get proper treatment for your toothache. Hope this answer will help you. Good luck.

Vote:

Ask a Question