slight numbness in the front teeth after trauma

hello

currently i have braces on my upper teeth for about 8 months, and for 3 months on my lower teeth.
a week before last saturday (on 9.), i was elbowed in the mouth at a concert.
the skin on the inner side on my lip got cracked at 2 places on the lower right side and one place on the upper right side, where they got pressed against the braces.
after the concert i gently verified multiple times, that none of my teeth is actually moving (at least not more than it did due to the braces), absolutely no damage is visible from the outside.

my main problem is that my right upper front teeth feels a bit numb when i press my tongue against it and this worries me a bit.
i had x-ray done for that teeth, and they show nothing, no damage to the nerve or the root.
i personally checked 2 times with a small cube of ice, by putting one corner above the cube just above the braces, and i felt the pain the same way i felt it with the tooth next to it, that i have no problem currently with.
when i was last time to have my braces adjusted, my dentist checked that the nerve is still alive, by putting something soft and cold to the tip of my tooth, and both the response time and both the way i felt the pain was the same like with the tooth next to it.
they even say that i was lucky i had braces on, as otherwise my teeth could have fallen out.
everyone says that there is nothing we can do other than wait and see if the teeth/nerve can fully heal.

sometimes i have a slight, just a bit noticeable pain in my teeth.
this appears mainly by the end of the day, so i'm not sure that this is because i get tired or because i haven't brushed for half a day.
i noticed in last thursday night, when i got home Friday, in the morning at 4 am.

my main question is that when can i expect that the numbness in my teeth can go away, as it is something i can "feel" anytime, and would indicate for me that things are getting alright.
the problem is that no one could answer this particular question.

on a sidenote, i think i can say that i have a very good dental hygienie, especially in the front teeths, as i never had any problem with the.

another thing is that (this MAY be the cause of numbness), the main reason that my braces were put on in the first place, is that my upper right front teeth (the one that feels a bit numb right now) was rotated slightly to the right (outwards) for years and i wanted to fix it.
when i had braces put on, they were numb for a few weeks/months, but that particular numbness went away with time.

i really would love to avoid root canal or any other dental procedure, that permanently changes the structure of my teeth...

it is hard to say if you will need root canal or not but unless you have severe pain, the you should not worry about it. It might a temporary thing and will go away.

Vote:
After trauma to teeth, sensitivity testing is unreliable. As drmark said, it is hard to say, so wait and see is the recommended course of action.

Vote:

Ask a Question